Aller en haut de la page
Ouvrir le menu

Chamarande: towards reopening the upper floors of the chateau

The Domaine de Chamarande - the largest public garden in the Essonne - has a remarkable historical, built, and landscaped heritage in an exceptional environment. It is home to the Departmental archives, the Essonne Department contemporary art collection (FDAC) and an accommodation centre. Throughout the year it hosts an impressive cultural program, including exhibitions by renowned artists such as Richard Orlinski and Robert Combas.

A history associated with illustrious names

In 1603, François Miron, instigator of the Paris sewer system and financier of the Paris Hôtel de Ville building works, ordered the construction of the main body of the chateau, still in existence today. Anne de Baillon, his son's widow, added two side pavilions in the 1640s. In 1654 the architect Nicolas De Lespine finalised the building's current facade in the elegant Louis XIII style of brick, stone and slate.

From 1737 to 1763, Louis de Talaru, Marquis of Chalmazel, called upon the services of the architect and garden designer Pierre Contant d'Ivry, who also worked on the Palais-Royal and Arras Cathedral. In 1857, the future Duke of Persigny acquired the Domaine and organised celebrations to which Napoleon III and the Empress Eugenie were invited. Later, Anthony-Aristide Boucicaut designed the interior fittings. Finally, from 1957 to 1972, the entrepreneur Auguste Mione, an advocate of modernist architecture, used the chateau as his company headquarters. He spearheaded numerous public works projects in Essonne; the extent of his investment could be compared to that of Le Corbusier.

After becoming the property of the Essonne Department, the Domaine was partially restored in the 1990s: the park was entrusted to the landscape architect Jacques Sgard. It provides a remarkable overview of the history of the art of gardens, from the classical French garden to the landscaped English park.

• Date of acquisition by the Essonne Department: 1978
• Classified Monument Historique
• Labelled Jardin Remarquable
• Location of the Domaine: Chamarande (at the heart of the Essonne)
• Surface area of the estate: 98 hectares

They are already patrons :

• M. Imed BENAMEUR
• Mme Amanda GALSWORTHY  
• M. Gilbert GARNIER
• Mme Laurence GUILLERMIN
• M Pierre LABRIE
• M et Mme NICOL
• M. Jacques ROBERT
• Mme Marie-Ange TASSEMKA
• Mme Angélique MIGNON
• M Brice THOMAS
• Société FIDELIO


Et la Société Loca Images
qui a adopté une case de jeu de l’oie 

For more information,
contact:
Fanny Malvezin
Cabinet du Président
Département de l'Essonne
Email: mecenat(at)cd-essonne.fr 
Tel. +33 1 77 58 12 60